Preparing a research document is a time-consuming, tedious process and includes various stages. One has to consider several aspects like availability and access to sources, contents to be included in the research document, etc while writing down a research document. Chapters in research document often demand undivided attention from the research scholar, one such being, the ‘methodology’ chapter.
Methodology section provides a clear idea of your research and its validity & reliability. Since methodology chapter can make an everlasting impression on readers, it has to be crafted in an effective manner. Typically, a research methodology chapter should be written by following a model to make it comprehensible for readers. Today, most of the Universities are demanding scholars to follow ‘research onion’ model while writing down this section. Has your University asked you to follow this model? Sounds like a complex process?
To ease your life, we, with the help of writers providing PhD synopsis writing service have figured out and have explained each layer of this model.
Research onion model, based on the philosophies of ontology, epistemology, and axiology is segregated into research philosophy, approaches, strategy, time horizons and data collection approaches.
- Research philosophy – This determines the approach used to collect infer and utilise a certain set of data for your research work and to do so, you can select philosophies like realism, positivism, and interpretivism. No matter which philosophy use have chosen, it must perfectly align your research objective and your choice of philosophy must be justified.
- Research approach – Research approach includes inductive and deductive methods and determines the logical reasoning. Choose one among the approaches as per your needs. The inductive approach lets you form a novel theory based on the data collected, whereas the deductive approach lets you ensure if the collected data holds good with the existing theories.
- Research strategy – Research strategy consists of the source and nature of the data which has been collected to meet the objectives of your research. Based on nature, the data can be qualitative or quantitative. Whereas, based on the source, the data can either be primary or secondary.
- Time horizon – Time horizon is of two types cross-sectional and longitudinal study. These give an idea of the exact timeline in which the research work has been conducted.
- Data collection – Data collection highlights the underlying techniques used by you to collect the necessary data for conducting your research. You should specify the statistical tools/software that you have exploited and approaches that you have followed while gathering the required data. This section of the research onion, lets you decide the content of the questionnaire sample groups. It is a must for you to ensure that all the tools and decisions you have used syncs with the philosophies.
Writing a methodology section is definitely a tough nut to crack. If you are facing tough time in writing this section, then seek professional help from writers offering PhD synopsis writing service.